Good morning/evening/midnight snack time, everyone! This week’s recipe is Tuna on Toast. It is the best go-to on the super cheap, according to my father.
I think I’ve mentioned Daddy before, because we always knew his meals would be one of three options: Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches, Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs, or this.
The only tricky part is making a roux at the start. Don’t laugh if you’re the gravy master; gravy and Jell-O have been my Achilles Heels for years, and I can make soufflé.
Depending on the current cost of canned tuna and how expensive of bread you purchase, this meal can have a total cost of $5. That’s right -FIVE DOLLARS for the entire meal! And that gives you extra bread and milk for your other food needs, afterwards.
Tuna on Toast
2-3 Tbsp butter
2-3 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 can chunk light tuna in water
1 can peas
Bread for toast
Butter for toasted bread
Salt and Pepper, to taste
French whisk or spoon
Toaster or toaster oven
- Melt 2-3 Tablespoons of butter in the skillet over medium heat. Turn off heat and add 2-3 Tablespoons flour with the whisk or spoon. Blend till smooth.
- Over low heat, cook the butter and flour till bubbly.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and blend well. Add more milk if too thick.
- Drain can of tuna and pour into gravy base.
- Drain can of peas and pour into tuna gravy base.
- Prepare bread in toaster, even buttering several pieces to taste.
- Tear toast into chunks on each person’s plate. Pour tuna gravy over toast pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
I’m not a big tuna fish fan, especially regarding the canned variety. When you’re young and hungry and your dad only knows how to make a few dishes, however, you can’t be picky for long.
I’ve found that adding some chopped onion makes this more palatable. When I made it last time, I even sautéed the chopped onion with the tuna before adding them to the gravy. It was tasty enough that my picky son told me he loved it, and my second son had thirds.
So, when you need a cheap meal, an easy meal, or just a quick meal because you’re starving and it’s 7:00 already -try Tuna on Toast today!